I have a fiance who writes very well. He once wrote me poems. Yes, once upon a time, if he still remembers.
I was brought up in a 100% Mandarin speaking environment. Think in mandarin, sleep in mandarin, dream in mandarin.. I love mandarin. I had written hundreds of essays in Chinese. I had read thousands of Chinese books, sang quite hundreds of Chinese songs, watched countless of Chinese movies/TV drama. There are just something about this language, I love this language.
I started to speak in English when I came to KL to study. Then I met Ray in 2008, someone who speaks in English only.
He then became my English teacher. He corrected my spoken/written English grammar. I'm blessed. However, to be honest, sometimes I felt agitated. I just felt like he was laughing at my English grammatical mistakes.
Yes, we do suffer with communication break down a lot of times. I just couldn't find the right words to express my feelings. He allowed me to use Mandarin to express, and he would reply in English.
We are still working hard to communicate with each other. Now, we realise that an effective communication is more than just breaking through language barrier, but also expressing our needs and expectations in a tactful way.
Art of communication.
No comments:
Post a Comment